- Alas! and did my Savior bleed,
And did my Sovereign die?
Would He devote that sacred head,
For sinners such as I?
At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away,
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day!
- Thy body slain, sweet Jesus, Thine,
And bathed in its own blood
While the firm mark of wrath divine,
His Soul in anguish stood.
- Was it for crimes that I had done,
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!
- Well might the sun in darkness hide,
And shut his glories in,
When Christ, the mighty Maker died,
For man the creature’s sin.
- Thus might I hide my blushing face,
While His dear cross appears,
Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
And melt my eyes to tears.
- But drops of grief can ne’er repay,
The debt of love I owe:
Here, Lord, I give my self away,
’Tis all that I can do.